Atola Insight Forensic system allows expanding its functionality via hardware extension modules.
How to plug an extension module
DiskSense 2 hardware unit must be powered off before an extension module can be installed:
- Power off DiskSense 2
- Plug extension module into Extension port
- Power on DiskSense 2
SAS extension module
- SAS interface: 6 Gbit/s
- Max read/write speed: 500 MB/s
- Hotplug for SAS drives is supported
- Current sensing is supported
- Short circuit and overvoltage protection is active
Atola Insight Forensic allows to run most operations for a SAS drive plugged into DiskSense 2. There are a few functions
that are not available for SAS drives by their nature: Host Protected Area (HPA), Device Configuration Overlay (DCO),
Security Features, and SSD Trim. Firmware recovery is also not supported.
Connecting a SAS drive to DiskSense 2 via SAS extension module
- Plug the mini SAS connector into the extension module
- Plug the molex power connector into the SATA 1 source power socket
- Plug the SAS connector into the drive
Thunderbolt extension module
With the help of Thunderbolt extension module Insight supports imaging, hash calculation and verification, comparing, media
scan, file recovery, write protection on MacBooks with these interfaces:
- Thunderbolt 2
- Thunderbolt 3, 2016 - 2017 models
Connecting MacBook via Thunderbolt extension module
- Connect MacBook to DiskSense 2 unit with the help of Thunderbolt extension and the FireWire cable. Use adapters if
- To boot MacBook in Target Disk Mode, start it up while holding down the T key until you see a Firewire or Thunderbolt
icon displayed on screen signifying Target Disk Mode.
- Start DiskSense 2 unit and launch Atola Insight Forensic on your computer.
- Select Identify device option in the pop-up window.
- In Source - Select MacBook Case window click Add new case button.
Apple PCIe SSD extension module
This module supports custom proprietary PCIe SSDs from Apple MacBooks (Mid 2013 - 2015).
Important: Drive hotplug is not supported yet. DiskSense 2 unit must be powered off before installing or replacing drives.
M.2 SSD extension module
Only M key interface drives are supported by this module. Differences between M.2 NVMe, M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe support:
|All Insight operations
||Partial (see below)
||Partial (see below)
M.2 SSD features:
- Max read/write speed: 700 MB/s
- Damaged drive support
- SSD Trim
- Calculate hash
- Comparison with pattern, image files or other drives
- Media scan
- Various device utilities: disk editor, media recovery, etc.
- Write protection
Connecting an M.2 NVMe or M.2 PCIe drive via extension module
- Power off the extension by using the Power button with an LED indicator
- Plug the drive into the extension module and fasten it with the sliding retainer.
- Power the extension on
- Click Re-identify in Insight's interface to initialize the drive in the interface.
Connecting an M.2 SATA drive via extension module
- Connect the source eSATAp cable end to the extension
- Power off source SATA port in Atola Insight Forensic
- Plug M.2 SATA drive into the extension and fix it in place with the plastic latch
Drive hotplug is supported. Before replacing hard drives the SATA power must be turned off via the software Power button
(for safety reasons).